July 24, 2013
Set sometime after X-Men: The Last Stand, Logan travels to Japan, where he engages a mysterious figure from his past in a fight that has lasting consequences. Vulnerable for the first time, and pushed to his physical and emotional limits, he confronts not only lethal samurai steel, but also his inner struggle against his own immortality, emerging more powerful than ever before.
- Hugh Jackman as Logan / Wolverine: a mutant and member of the X-Men. Jackman, who portrayed the character in the previous X-Men films, also produced the film via his company Seed Productions.Regarding Logan’s struggle with immortality, Jackman said, “He realizes everyone he loves dies, and his whole life is full of pain. So it’s better that he just escapes. He can’t die really. He just wants to get away from everything.” Jackman stated that he ate six meals a day in preparation for the role. Jackman contacted Dwayne Johnson for some tips on bulking up for the movie. Johnson suggested that for six months, he gain a pound a week, by eating 6,000 calories a day which consisted of “an awful lot of chicken, steak and brown rice”.
- Hiroyuki Sanada as Shingen Yashida: a character created by Claremont and Miller, who is a Yakuza crime boss and antagonist to Wolverine.
- Hal Yamanouchi as Yashida, the head of the Yashida clan to which Shingen belongs.
- Tao Okamoto as Mariko Yashida: the daughter of Shingen, who is torn between her love for Logan and her duty to her father. Logan is hired to protect Mariko as she becomes threatened by a gangland war between law enforcement and the Yakuza. About her character, Okamoto said that Mariko is no push over and is proficient in karate and knife-throwing.
- Rila Fukushima as Yukio: one of the deadliest assassins in Shingen’s clan.Fukushima said, “My character’s very physical. Yukio and Wolverine have a lot in common. She really takes care of him and he also cares about her.” Mangold described Yukio as a lethal fighter who is “both sexy and almost kind of sprung from the anime world.
- Will Yun Lee as Kenuichio Harada / Silver Samurai: the illegitimate son of Shingen, who possesses the ability to charge his katana with “tachyon energy”, which can then cut through almost anything. Lee said that he underwent rigorous sword training for the film.
- Brian Tee as Noburo Mori: a corrupt minister of justice who is about to marry Mariko.
- Svetlana Khodchenkova as Viper: a one-time peer of Wolverine’s as well as an enemy, who has an immunity to toxins. About her character, Khodchenkova said “Viper doesn’t really have many people that she cares about, most of them she just uses for her own purpose.” Mangold said, “as her name would imply, she’s kind of snakelike,” and that Viper views Logan “like a great hunter might view hunting a lion in his quarry.”
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?